Tuesday, February 1, 2011

My Greatest Sports Moment Ever!

To say that I am a big sports fan would be quite the understatement. I have followed.......no LIVED sports since I was 4 years old. I knew all of the players in the NHL at 5 and pretty close to all MLB players at 6 or 7. I got into the NBA in 1987 and the NFL shortly after. Sports became a very important aspect of my day-to-day life and it's still the same today. Baseball is my game, it always will be. I love how it reminds me of a game of chess on a field. Every step thought out, thinking about counter and counter-counter moves that will follow. My love of the strategic part of the game obviously led me to National League Baseball, where bunting, hit and run, pitchers hitting, bullpen manipulation, and larger than life coaches rule the scene.

Hockey has really changed over the years, and since Gary Bettman took over the product has gotten less and less enjoyable to watch. Add to that the fact that 100% of Canadians SHOULD want to strangle him, makes it more about a Rat-faced inept hockey guy, then the players on the ice. Every week its an argument about a new rule change, or changing a rule back. Here is an idea: Contract 4 teams and have a draft amongst the other 26 teams. This will eliminate the worst players in the league who water down the product. Next, take 2 other teams who have no support, fans or money and move them to Winnipeg and Quebec where people BREATHE hockey, even though they don't have a team. Funny how Bettmen lets US franchises lose money, lose potential buyers and he gives them 20 chances, Canadian based teams didn't get this luxury. To the Bettman lovers, remember this: the Canadian dollar was less than .70cents on the US dollar in the mid 90's, now it's close to par. That is why the Canadian teams were struggling back then moron.

The NFL and NBA are both closing in on work stoppages. To be honest, I am a much bigger basketball fan than I am football fan (NFL or CFL). I find the game the most exciting of the 4 sports, and love how the young and athletic game has become even faster. I also love how the NBA promotes it's players. Brilliant! I just hope that they get their stuff together and keep the game on the playing field next season.

So, my favorite teams are the Atlanta Braves, Montreal Canadiens, Detroit Pistons, Miami Dolphins, and the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. The Braves are my life, the Habs I follow religiously, and the others I follow.

My favorite sports moment of all-time? That one is easy. 1992 NLCS - Game 7. The infamous Sid slide against the Pittsburgh Pirates in the 9th inning. Sid Bream scores from second base on pinch-hitter Francisco Cabrera's single. Took me 8 years to find this autographed poster, but it was well worth the wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment