Thursday, April 28, 2011

My Favorite Atlanta Braves Ever - OF (Blog #14)

The Atlanta Braves have been my passion for the last 23+ years. I have watched lean years, average years, and a whole lot of AMAZING years. Over this time I have been blessed to see some of my favorite players ever grace the Fulton-County Stadium and Turner Field crowds with many memorable moments.

Today, I start with the Outfielders. Its the position that I played the majority of my life (center field) and the spot that I happen to noticed the most when watching a ball game. I am going to pick my top 10 favorite Braves Outfielders ever. Obviously Henry Aaron would be on the list of best ever, but I am only including the guys that I was able to watch and follow. *Dale Murphy is not on my top 10 because I didn't get to see him play until he was a .220 hitter. He was all class, and watching old film of him makes me believe that he would be close to the top of this list if I had have watched him play his whole career.

10. Charles Thomas - The closest thing that the Braves have had comparable to Dominique Wilkins. Thomas was "The Human Highlight Film." The little left fielder made diving and leaping catches nearly every night. Formed the best defensive OF I have ever witnessed in 2004 with JD Drew, and Andruw Jones. Had tough at-bats and many timely hits during his short tenure as a starter with the Braves. Played baseball the way I like baseball to be played, hard and all-out every pitch.

9. Marquis Grissom - Came to us in 1995 and immediately gave us a center fielder who could steal bases and provide some power at the top of the lineup. His defense was great, and he recorded the final out in our only World Series Championship in Atlanta. He played 2 seasons and was then traded in the worst trade I ever had to deal with. He and David Justice to Cleveland for Kenny Lofton (Super Punk) and Alan Embree. Still makes me gag.

8. Ryan Klesko - From the second he left the on-deck circle you knew you were in for a treat. The boom of the intro to Even Flow by Pearl Jam got the crowd going. Shortly after you saw a man possessed at the dish. To this day, the hardest and most violent swing I have ever seen. He swung so hard, he often had to loosen the top two buttons on his shirt. The guy was the size of an ox, and punished pitchers while in our lineup. Only things as punishing, his time in left field. What he missed in the grace category, he made up for with hustle.

7. Deion Sanders - Prime Time. Helicopter to the field after a Falcons NFL game to play baseball the same night. This guy was so talented of an athlete it was downright scary. Fastest player the Braves have had in my time. I still remember he and Otis Nixon running the bases on a gap triple. Looked like half of the 4X100 relay team. I just with sanders would have played baseball only. How good could he have been. His run-in with Tim McCarver pretty much sealed his fate in Atlanta.

6. Martin Prado - Professional hitter, one of the greatest team players we have had in 20+ years of me following this team. He can play anywhere and play it very well. He has been in the outfield for a month and he already looks like a seasoned veteran out there. I love his approach and his "do anything to win" attitude. He is what professional sports needs more of.

5. Otis Nixon - Skeletor was always one of my favorite guys to play like. I was skinny like he was, fast and didn't have any power. I loved how he would slap-hit, drag bunt, and get on to steal bases for us. in 1991 he stole 72 bases. My favorite moment is "The Catch" against the Pirates Andy Van Slyke.

4. Ron Gant - Ronnie was the man in the Braves lineup that could do it all! Back-to-back 30HR/30SB seasons in 1990 and 1991, and a 36 HR season in 1993. His dirt bike accident in the off season in 1993 ended his contract with the Braves. So much potential, he was never the same after the incident. He was a favorite of my Mom as well. In fact, Twitter and Internet sensation @secretagentcat is named after Gant!

3. David Justice - Mr. Brave in the early to mid 90's. Played great defense and was a late inning heroic hitter in our lineup from 1990-1996 including hitting the game-winning HR in the 1-0 win that clinched the 1995 World Series championship. He was an odd guy, but he did marry Halle Berry so I guess crazy attracts crazy. My other cat was named after Justice!

2. Jason Heyward - I have never been so excited to see a position player come through the ranks to make his debut with the Braves. The guy is a flat-out BEAST. Already shows the poise of a 15 year veteran at the plate, and has tremendous power. Going to be very blessed to see him play his career in Atlanta. One of the rare players in baseball where fans, even non-Braves fans stop what they are doing when the game is on to see his at-bat. Two straight opening day first at-bat home runs are the stuff that builds the legend.

1. Andruw Jones - You know how it begins. 2 home runs in his debut World Series game in 1996. For more than a decade he was the best center fielder in all of baseball, seemingly covering half of the outfield by himself. He made so many incredible catches, including a slew of diving catches that would frequent the SportsCenter Top 10 four nights a week. in fact, he won 10-straight Gold Gloves between 1998-2007. At the plate I saw the highs and the lows. Raw talent led to a 51 HR season and seven 30+HR campaigns. However, his lack of discipline was seen in both his approach and his diet habits. Funny thing is, he left for the money, and never played well after leaving. I am just glad that I can say that I saw the best defensive center fielder play in his prime live on seven different occasions.

No comments:

Post a Comment