Monday, April 11, 2011

My NHL playoff predictions 2010-11 (Blog #10)

Well, everyone is doing it, so I guess I might as well throw my wacky predictions on the table. Heck, people don't usually do well in these things anyway overall. I did have a double strike of lightning last season, picking my Montreal Canadiens to beat both Washington and Pittsburgh. I did get almost all of the rest of the pics wrong, but who cares? Its all in fun. Remember, I won't look at your picks and make fun of you for who you pick with some "scientific" explanation with thrown-around stats to prove a point. My response, upsets happen, that's why they play the games!

Well, let's go!

Western Conference: First Round

#1 Vancouver VS #8 Chicago. Personally, I can't wait for this. I love the Hawks, it was and still is my Mom's favorite team. Loved watching the run last year. Jeez, my brother is named after Bobby Hull for God sakes! However, this year the Hawks don't have the player that was the HANDS DOWN MVP of the past 2 series with the Canucks - Buff the Stuff. Nuff of a reason to pick Vancouver this time around. They were the best team all around this season, have enough scoring to get it done, and are deep like the Hawks were deep last year. (Vancouver, 4-2)

#2 San Jose VS #7 Los Angeles. The battle of the red eyes in the morning from staying up to late. The injury to Kopitar makes a difference, but the Sharks are ready. I know, I know, we have heard it all before. Trust me, this playoff will be different. Too much for the Kings. (San Jose, 4-1)

#3 Detroit VS #6 Phoenix. The Coyotes will give the Wings a go, and may actually win this if it comes down to slow boring defensive hockey where the Coyotes have the edge in goaltending. I don't think that will happen. The Wings will fly, have a lot to play for and prove and will win. (Detroit 4-2)

#4 Anaheim VS #5Nashville. This one is a "pick'em" to me. The Ducks are on a tear, and Perry is Bossy the last 2 months. The Ducks are a team that can really get streaky, but their goaltending and defensive game concerns me. The Predators are a team built for 2-1 games with a goalie who I feel is a legit Vezina candidate. (Nashville, 4-3)

Eastern Conference: First Round

#1 Washington VS #8 New York. Well, as stated before, upsets happen. I think that the Capitals are riped for the picking for the Rangers. Goaltending and team game will be key, and I am still not convinced with the Capitals as a playoff team, or Ovechkin as a leader. If you plan on arguing, remember that the Habs were MORE of an under-dog last season. The Rangers play the Caps well. (Rangers, 4-3)

#2 Philadelphia VS #7 Buffalo. This is a weird one. Buffalo and Ryan Miller always scare me. They have the type of team to give the Flyers fits. Add to that, the fact that I have little faith in Bob the Goalie. However, this team is big, great in both ends, and has experienced a long run. They are also led by real leaders. (Flyers, 4-2)

#3 Boston VS #6 Montreal. Guess what? I am calling it once again. The amount of hatred is only rivaled by the amount of contrast between the teams styles. The Bruins have to stay disciplined while they beat up the Habs, and the Habs have to use the power-play to their advantage. This will be a "pier-6 brawl", a "Hell in the Cell" cage match, a "Mexican Cock Fight" .... you get the picture. (Canadiens, 4-3)

#4 Pittsburgh VS #5 Tampa Bay. This series is getting called either way by the so called "experts". Hahaha, experts. If Crosby can't go, and I don't think that he will, the Penguins will have to rely on depth, experience, and goaltending. If Crosby comes back and is healthy, they win faster. The Lightning had a great season, but are a year away. (Pittsburgh, 4-2)

Western Conference: Rest of the Way

#1 Vancouver VS #5 Nashville. The Canucks have the monkey off of their back and take a tough series (much easier mentally) against the Preds. (Canucks 4-1)

#2 San Jose VS #3 Detroit. This will be a series for the ages. End-to-end rushes, questionable goaltending at times, lots of scoring. (San Jose, 4-3)

#1 Vancouver VS #2 San Jose. the Canucks continue to roll, even though the Sharks put up a fight. Last game in SJ for some of the key Sharks players. (Canucks, 4-2)

Eastern Conference: Rest of the Way

#2 Philadelphia VS #8 New York. The Flyers expose the Rangers weaknesses and win a lop-sided series. (Flyers, 4-1)

#4 Pittsburgh VS #6 Montreal. Crosby, or no Crosby, the Habs are a better team test than the Lightning were. (Canadiens, 4-2)

#2 Philadelphia VS #6 Montreal. The Habs put up a much better fight, and their is no goalie playing out of his head for the Flyers. Doesn't matter, maybe next time. (Flyers, 4-2)

Stanley Cup Finals:

Vancouver Canucks VS Philadelphia Flyers. I want to say that this will be a great classic, but I don't like the match up. The Flyers take too many penalties, and the Canucks torch them. Special teams/Goaltending is the difference. (Canucks, 4-1)

3 comments:

  1. Yeah yeah. Good picks. But when are Ron's picks coming?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ron only cheers for cat-like teams. He will be putting money on Nashville. I don't have the heart to tell him that the Panthers missed the playoffs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahah, poor Ron *hilarious yet sad*

    ReplyDelete